WHO IS "G SMOOTH" ANYWAY?

"G Smooth" is a Southern Baptist Pastor who wears Crocs to church, officiates weddings without socks, and dares go to DISNEYWORLD (even during SBC's Prohibition Years, haha) on vacation...has been married to Angie for 11 years...still thinks guys like Larry Bird and Pistol Pete were better basketball players than any guys in the modern era...and has been a BIG ORANGE fan since we whipped Miami's butts in the '86 Sugar Bowl, baby!

Monday, August 23, 2010

I USED TO...

...be that "religious" person that's in so many churches that I can't stand anymore.  Now, I dwell on the fact Christians are called to be holy not religious.  The difference is only God can make us holy.  Too many Christians are trying to do it on their own.  That's the definition of being religious.

...lack confidence in a few aspects of my life.  Now, I have enough leftover confidence for others.  The change has been in acquiring divine confidence.  That confidence comes from realizing there's no such thing as self-esteem without spiritual significance.  And once I realized how spiritually significant I was...look out, folks!

...be so young and naive.  Now, I've learned a few things about real life here and there.  I'm wiser for it but there are some lessons I'd rather have left in the classroom.

...be a people-pleaser.  Now, I've learned what an oxymoron that really is.  It can't be done.  Other than the obligatory efforts towards our teachers, bosses, etc., we shouldn't ever try.  A wise man once looked at a snapshot of my life and told me he could tell I'd been held to a high standard of expectations all my life.  He told me that was fine but be careful and not let that steal away my freedom in Christ to live the abundant life He has for me.  That man was Dr. David Abernathy and I've never met a wiser man in 34 years on this earth.

...picture what life would be like with the girl I was going to marry.  Now, I can't picture life without her.  Heck, I can't even find my phone, wallet or keys without her :)

...used to think, feel, sense, plan, dream, pray, act, talk, walk, run, play...DIFFERENTLY.  Now, I've realized it's ok to change.  Life's about change.  Actually, this changing, temporary life is just preparation for the life we were created for, namely eternity.  The big picture is our life here is "but a vapor that appears for a little while then vanishes away."  We must invest in the lives of others.  We must leave a legacy that will demand more than a 15 minute funeral of mostly depressing, elevator style music.  We must learn, grow, change, adapt, teach, mold, and disciple...before the vapor vanishes away. 

3 comments: