WHO IS "G SMOOTH" ANYWAY?

"G Smooth" is a Southern Baptist Pastor who wears Crocs to church, officiates weddings without socks, and dares go to DISNEYWORLD (even during SBC's Prohibition Years, haha) on vacation...has been married to Angie for 11 years...still thinks guys like Larry Bird and Pistol Pete were better basketball players than any guys in the modern era...and has been a BIG ORANGE fan since we whipped Miami's butts in the '86 Sugar Bowl, baby!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

THIS IS GOING TO SOUND...

There's no way for this not to sound arrogant but I am tired of putting up with ignorance.

Now, I am in no way saying that there isn't plenty of things I am not ignorant about myself.  So, maybe this won't sound too arrogant after all.  Yet, I try to listen to others and learn about these things and not speak on them as though I am some authority.

But isn't it hard to talk about things with people where their knowledge of the subject is paltry compared to yours?  Ok, that's kind of arrogant, I agree.

Take for example, UT basketball and the game of basketball in general.  I have played (not greatly but that's not the point :) basketball all my life, so I know the game pretty well.  So, when someone starts giving their opinion on what player/coach is good/bad, etc., sometimes its hard not to use FACTS/LOGIC/TRUTH and completely tell them why they are wrong.

Usually, for this or any subject, what happens when you attempt to rationally correct those "someones" is, you spend a vast amount of time, breath, and energy, only to end up frustrated that they won't budge from their "OPINION".

Yes, I realize its a free country, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, blah blah blah, LOL.  But, that HAS to have limits, right?  I mean, you can't have the opinion that the sky is LIME GREEN can you?  Or, is it okay to say its your "OPINION" that the Grand Canyon is not a canyon?

It seems to me alot of us hold opinions out of ignorance to the point where we KNOW its a BASELESS opinion and don't care.  That kind of thinking is dangerous to an individual AND a society, and unfortunately has taken roots in our churches, too.

Or, am I just being arrogant...or ignorant here?  

2 comments:

  1. Remember........Never argue with a fool, because someone watching might not be able to tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete