WHO IS "G SMOOTH" ANYWAY?

"G Smooth" is a Southern Baptist Pastor who wears Crocs to church, officiates weddings without socks, and dares go to DISNEYWORLD (even during SBC's Prohibition Years, haha) on vacation...has been married to Angie for 11 years...still thinks guys like Larry Bird and Pistol Pete were better basketball players than any guys in the modern era...and has been a BIG ORANGE fan since we whipped Miami's butts in the '86 Sugar Bowl, baby!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

WHERE THERE IS FAITH...

FAITH is a word/concept I've been thinkin' about lately.  Seems its everywhere you go.  We are told, "You Gotta Have FAITH" and to, "Keep The FAITH".  And that's just from George Michael and Bon Jovi!  But, you can learn alot from a song.  The title of this post is itself, a song.  A 90's Contemporary Christian group called 4Him sang that song and wrote it, too, I guess.  


Here's some of the lyrics to "Where There Is Faith":


I believe in faithfulness
I believe in giving of myself...for someone else
I believe in peace and love
I believe in honesty and trust...but it's not enough
For all that I believe may never change the way it is
Unless I believe...Jesus lives... 



Its a neat song and thought provoking, as well.  It adds some insight into my thoughts on FAITH, especially the kind of faith required to become and be labeled a CHRISTIAN.  


I believe the Bible's definition of faith is in conflict with many people who claim they have it.  By the way, the Bible is always right if we ever find any of our opinions or beliefs in conflict with it (but, that's a post for another day).  


According to the Bible, Hebrews 11:1 to be exact, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."


I'll spare you the Greek lesson as I would make a horrible teacher.  Instead, I'll refer you to a copy of "Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionary" so you won't take my word for the following statements on what I understand the Biblical definition of faith is, as originally written.


Here's how it breaks down in the Greek:  


"Faith (persuasion, especially reliance upon Christ for salvation) is the substance (support, essence, assurance) of things hoped for (expect, confide), the evidence (proof, conviction) of things (deed, affair, object) not seen (looked at/on/to, perceive, regard)."


Here's how it breaks down in my head (Lord bless the poor little fella...I know, I know, lol):


I RELY UPON CHRIST FOR MY SALVATION, BECAUSE HE SURELY MEETS ALL EXPECTATIONS OF THE ONLY ONE CAPABLE TO OFFER SALVATION.  THIS RELIANCE IS BASED ON THE EVIDENCE AVAILABLE TO ME AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO UNDERSTAND MORE BY AND BY.  


I hope this kind of faith is real to you.  Because, it is the only real faith the Bible defines.  And, that's where the conflict I mentioned earlier comes into play.  People define their faith as personal to them.  I think this is done many times so as to not have to defend it or, "Give an answer...for the hope that is within you."  "Well, this is what I believe and I am entitled to my opinion and if its personal to me, you can't say anything to me about it."


That's a pretty easy/lazy way to get out of being responsible for what the Bible you claim to believe really says.  Now, does God want to have a personal, intimate relationship with us?  ABSOLUTELY!  Do we learn about Him differently and differentially than other Christians?  YES!  BUT...we must remember the only knowledge and understanding we will glean about God WILL BE VERIFIED in His HOLY WORD!  You won't have any secret knowledge that I don't and vice versa.  


There has to a standard we all use is what I'm saying.  He has left us an awesome one in the Bible.  We just need to use it more, in my opinion.   


That's how I see it at least and just some of my recent thoughts on FAITH.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  But, I'm not here to argue, nor will I be impressed with your intelligence or want to hear about my lack thereof, lol.  


Holler at me...



4 comments:

  1. I'll try not to change the font in the middle of a post next time...lol, oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about a nice compliment, but since you won't be impressed with my intelligence ...

    Nice Blog, ol' boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Greg! We influence those we lead, and Blogging is a great way to influence...

    I have subscribed so I can follow every time you post. Keep writing!

    If you haven't already, check out my Blog at http://bigcloudmusic.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogland! I have found it amazing how many people blog and read blogs. I am hoping that yours will touch many lives. I am taking a short break until my house is cleaned and organized from the holidays but once I am back I will be sure to put a post up about your blog!!! I miss your great since of humor and glad I will be able to follow you now! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete